Frequently asked questions


I have reported a claim. How can I monitor the progress of my claim?

    1. Log in to "My Account".
    2. Then click on "Claims".
    3. Here you will find the status of your claim.

    I would like to fill in a paper claim form. Is that possible?

    Yes, you can download and print the claim forms from our download page.

    The completed form should be sent to:

    Afdeling Schade
    PO Box 3623
    4800 DP Breda
    The Netherlands

    I want to report a claim, what should I do?

    You can easily register your claim online. Follow these steps:

    1. Log in to "My Account".
    2. Choose the relevant insurance and click on "Claims".
    3. Then click on "Actions" and "Report a claim"
    4. You answer the questions.
    5. Then read the final declaration and tick the box.
    6. Finally, you click on "Send".